With each passing year, the Maryland Speech-Language-Hearing Association continues to build a tradition of successful legislative advocacy for its members and for the consumers they serve.
INSURANCE CLAIM DENIED?
The Health Education and Advocacy Unit of the Office of the Attorney General may be able to help. Click Here for More Information
MSHA’s Legislative Agenda
The MSHA Executive Board develops a legislative agenda for each session of the Maryland General Assembly. MSHA retains a lobbyist through the lobbying firm of Alexander and Cleaver. Our lobbyist assists with constructing the annual agenda so that we may focus our communication with local legislators to maximize our influence on policymaking.
MSHA’s Legislative Outreach
MSHA strives to enhance communications with members through its website, email communications, and other technology so that we may quickly advise members of upcoming legislative issues. We also host an annual Legislative Action Day workshop to inform members about ways to influence the legislative process.
How Can You Get Involved?
All MSHA members are encouraged to be involved in the development and promotion of our legislative agenda. Whether you have ten minutes or ten hours, many opportunities exist for you to make your opinion count in the shaping of our state policy.
- Be a member! Just by renewing your membership to MSHA, you are contributing to a political cause that promotes one of your greatest passions – helping people with communication and hearing disorders to have the best life possible. Join MSHA now...
- Know your legislators. All of our legislators list various means of making contact (phone, local office, Annapolis office, e-mail, fax) and they are very accessible. They want to hear your opinion. They want to hear the stories of the children and adults with whom we work. And they want your vote in the next election! To locate your legislators, visit www.mdelect.net and type in your name and address, or view any of our Find Legislators resources.
- Facebook. MSHA has its own Facebook page to broadcast state-level SLP and audiology news. Come join this group page to stay up-to-date with legislative news (once the session starts in January, things tend to move very quickly). Join us on Facebook...
- Visit the MSHA website. Subscribe to RSS Feeds on the MSHA website to get the latest information and learn how to quickly access your legislators and optimize your involvement in government affairs with the ease of clicking your mouse.
- Volunteer for MSHA’s Legislative Committees. As you can imagine, planning and development opportunities abound. If you have an opinion, an idea, a motive for legislative action, you will find an outlet for it here. Contact the MSHA office to convey your interest in participating in a committee.
- Run for office on MSHA’s Executive Board. If you are ready to take the next step in your service to your profession, consider joining the dedicated team of your peers who guide our state-level endeavors.